Te Herenga Waka — Victoria University of Wellington
Te Herenga Waka — Victoria University of Wellington was founded in 1897 and teaching began in April 1899 with 115 students enrolled in the first year.
For the first few years, lectures took place in rented accommodation in the city till, eventually, the College Council decided to build on ‘six vertical acres’ in Kelburn, the site of today's Kelburn campus.
In 1961, the University of New Zealand system was dissolved, and on 1 January 1962, Victoria University of Wellington was established as an independent entity.
From a single campus in Kelburn with fewer than 260 students, Victoria University of Wellington has grown into a network of campuses, research centres, institutes and worldwide partnerships.
"Ngā Puhipuhi o Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington Art Collection was initiated by university staff in 1947, who voted to set aside funds to enable original works of New Zealand art to be purchased and hung in the University common room...
Now numbering more than 600 items Ngā Puhipuhi o Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington Art Collection has grown to become a nationally significant collection of modern and contemporary art by some of Aotearoa’s best known artists. With the professional management of Te Pātaka Toi Adam Art Gallery, the collection has diversified with the addition of photographs, moving image, installation and conceptual art works. These can be found in the public spaces of all the University campuses. The Art Collection is also regularly utilised as the basis for exhibitions at the Adam Art Gallery, and as a resource for teaching." (Collection History)