The Church of the Holy Cross

A Catholic Church has stood on View Road, Henderson, since 1911 when a small wooden Church was built on land donated by a Catholic family.

"Holy Cross is Parish of many different ethnicities. Original parishioners were of English, Irish and Dalmatian communities. Following the Second World War, a strong number of Dutch immigrants joined the Parish. Parishioners from Pacific ethnicities have formed communities within the parish ie: Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and other Pacifica nations. Those from our Asian Indian sub-continent friends have added to the diversity of Holy Cross."

In the late 1950s growth in the population of Henderson "and the energy of the Parish Priest and Parishioners" encouraged building of the current Church, which opened in 1960. A Parish Hall was added in the 1980s.

"Important features of the Church as built in 1960 include significant mosaics for the Stations of the Cross, Mary and Child in the Church entrance and Saint Peter and Saint Paul in coloured glass, made by renowned artist Milan Mrkusich. Stained glass windows and a metal crucifix made by Louise Henderson will continue to be important features of [a] planned re-development of the Church.

The re-development will see additional seating and a return to the previous alignment with the traditional long aisle format.

Served by the Capuchin Friars for almost 30 years, the Parish of Holy Cross continues to grow communities of new Parishioners adding to the descendants of those who first built a Church on the site almost 100 years ago." (History of Holy Cross Parish)

See also:

Milan Mrkusich, ‘Traverse Mosaics (Christ & Mary)’ (1960) [detail - Christ], Church of The Holy Cross, Henderson, Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland

Images: Bronwyn Holloway-Smith, Public Art Heritage Aotearoa New Zealand, 2021