Also known as:
- Te Whare Wānaka o Aoraki
Te Whare Wānaka o Aoraki Lincoln University began as the School of Agriculture of Canterbury University College, opening in July 1880. The campus at Lincoln was primarily residential with students living on site. A college farm was worked by the students, who took part in ploughing, milking, and stock management, as well as taking lectures on agricultural science and chemistry.
Until 1961 students graduated with qualifications of the University of New Zealand, when the nation wide university system was devolved to regional institutions. From 1961 to 1990, it was known as Lincoln College, a constituent college of the University of Canterbury. In 1990 Lincoln University became autonomous as the smallest of the eight universities of Aotearoa.
Lincoln University today is a specialist land-based university that facilitates research and education in shaping a world that benefits from a greater understanding of the relationship between land, food, and ecosystems.
The Lincoln University Art Collection is presented online as part of the University’s Living Heritage Tikaka Tuku Iho platform.