Plischke & Firth
Ernst Plischke and Cedric Firth had both practiced in the government Housing Construction Department in the 1940s. They began working together on private commissions after 1944. In 1948, with the securing of a large commission for the head offices of the Boards of New Zealand Dairy and New Zealand Meat Producers (Massey House), the practice Plischke & Firth was formally established. Massey House opened in 1957 on Wellington's Lambton Quay. It is recognised "as a landmark building in the history of modernism in New Zealand."
Renowned for its sophisticated Modern styling and relatively luxurious material finishes, the project included a commissioned mural by E. Mervyn Taylor.
- Linda Tyler. 'Plischke, Ernst Anton', Dictionary of New Zealand Biography,Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand.
- Greg Bowron. 'Firth, Cedric Harold', Dictionary of New Zealand Biography, Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand.
- Ben Schrader, 'Public, commercial and church architecture - Modernism, 1930 to 1970', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand.
- Associated Artworks