"Donated to the library by the late Rodney Kennedy, a passionate supporter and benefactor of art and artists in Dunedin. Kennedy wished to acknowledge the role of the former City Librarian, Archie Dunningham and his wife Peggy, whose support for young artists in Dunedin during the 1930s and 40s included making exhibition space available at the Library. The work was painted for Kennedy and is the third in an 'Otago Peninsula' series painted by McCahon between 1946 and 1948. Students still study this painting as a landmark in the development of art in New Zealand."
~ text from Dunedin City Library Art Trail booklet